Another School Year

School starting tomorrow means lots of things, but a few important ones for me.
1. Meeting new people. I will meet over one hundred new students and a dozen or so new staff members. Meeting new people and getting to know them can be fun. I love developing strong relationships with my students that could potentially last for years to come. I have a whole year with them, but I try to melt (and completely annihilate) any awkward “ice” that seems to need breaking right away so we can get straight to learning and having fun as soon as possible.
2. Seeing familiar faces. Yeah, those relationships I mentioned in #1 began with my students from last year (that weren’t seniors) and I enjoy seeing them again. Whether it’s just a smile, “Hey,” nod, high five, or being a little too obnoxious in the hallway, it’s fun to see those bright smiling faces again.
3. Losing weight. Huh? Yeah, every summer, I put on a good 10-15 pounds because I have lots of food at my disposal at all times and I enjoy eating. Quite the opposite is true during the school year. I go to the teacher’s lounge roughly five or six times a year and 2-3 of them are because there’s free food. It’s not that I’m antisocial or anything, I just get a lot done during that time. With the beginning of the year, comes volleyball season, so there are entire days the only times I get to see my own children are while they’re sleeping. Any time that I can save at school helps. Meeting with students, doing school work, even an occasional nap at the beginning of the year are all more important than hanging out with teachers that are sometimes just complaining about everything anyways. There are lots of days I don’t eat anything. My wife asks how I survive without eating. After a summer of gorging and grazing, I’m not sure how I do it either. Additionally, some teachers get together early in the morning twice a week to play basketball. Some get together for volleyball. I don’t play every time, but I do enjoy starting my school day with some exercise. Heck, with the new fieldhouse, maybe I’ll even start running again. All these things get me back on track, not just for maintaining a healthy weight, but for maintaining a healthy lifestyle that I enjoy or at least try to as much as possible.